2/22/2007

1984 - Climax

Climax is when the conflict or problem needs to be solved the one way or the other. The novel 1984's climax is when O'Brien tells Winston that he is one of the thought police and tortures him. Winston and Julia always believed that O'Brien is on their side because of all his kindness and gentleness, but at the end everything was incorrect. When I first read this book it was boring, but when this turn over happened the novel was total different book. It was thrilling, exciting, and even nervous. When Winston was being tortured by O'Brien it even made me sweat on my hand. I just wished O'Brien can be the nice one again and stop torture Winston. He was the one who was behind this whole plan to get Winston in trouble and brainwash him. From the beginning, he told Winston the place where they weren't any telescreen and tried to fake Winston, but actually there was telescreen and he watched every single move of Winston. In the climax, he gets caught by O'Brien and be tortured to death. Later, his mind just corrupts and just believes everything that O'Brien says to him (Brainwash). If he says 1+1=3, then it is 3. Before brainwash, when others forced him to think the answer is 3, he believed his own faith and said it was 2, which is the right answer. After that being tortured by his weakness, rat, he betrays Julia. I really enjoyed this book. Not because of the dystopia that this novel contains, but the turn over makes me just dig in more to the novel.

1 comment:

nc_aaltonen said...

I don't quite agree that the part you picked is the climax but I think that you did pick a very meaningful part. At first, I thought the same thing. I was also going to put what you put as the climax, but as i got thinking further, I kind of found a deeper part: where Winston successes to change his mind but fails to change his heart(this climax is my opinion). But I really liked how you picked this part and went really deep into it. You analyzed it really well and explained it very well, to the point that it almost changed my mind about the climax I picked. Good job with your entry~! <3